Monday, December 20, 2010

NYC

My family flew up to New York City this past weekend, so Carrie and I took a bus from D.C. to meet up with them for a day. The trip did not start off well with traffic and the incompetence of MegaBus in general. We got there a few hours late and missed dinner, but we caught the tail end of the show we were supposed to see.

Afterwards we all headed over to Rockefeller Center to see the tree. It is really big, but I wasn't really blown away. I think that with giant skyscrapers all over the place, it kind of takes away from the tree.

The next day, we walked around Manhattan. We did not have a real gameplan, so we kind of wandered from one place to the next. We started at the World trade Center, had lunch in Chinatown (and happened to walk right into a parade), walked through SoHo and Greenwich Village. I took a few good photos, but it was really cold and nobody really wanted to stop and wait while I took the time to get good shots of every little thing I saw.

My dad was helping me a lot, giving me advice on different things here and there for getting better shots in various situations. I forgot that he has an old SLR and knows a thing or two. His advice was most notable on the night shot of Times Square from a few blocks away and the inside of Grand Central Station. I kept messing with different settings, but I just couldn't get it right. I tend to forget about the aperture, and I leave it on auto, but it really does make a difference to set it manually, so that is something I need to get into the habit of.


Queens





No comments:

Post a Comment