Sunday, October 24, 2010

Billy Goat Trail

So yesterday, Carrie, Burns and I went out for a hike at the Billy Goat Trail. It is a fairly intense, very rocky path along the Potomac River that requires some climbing, but its a fun trail to hike. The scenery is always nice, but fall is probably better than any other time of year. Unfortunately we were probably 2 or 3 weeks early for really bright oranges, reds and yellows, but there were some trees starting to turn.

This was the first time I really got to bust out the Canon in a nature setting. I didn't really have any idea what kinds of pictures I was going to take, and I didn't want to slow us down by taking pictures every few minutes so I mostly only got shot when we were stopped taking a rest. The other thing preventing me from taking spontaneous photos was that I could not keep the camera out around my neck because of the climbing of rocks and jumping off them and branches everywhere, I did not want to damage my camera. A lot of the pictures this day were taken while we were stopped for our little picnic.

The sun was very bright and I could not see the photos that I was taking on the lcd very well because of how bright it was. Therefore I couldn't see what I needed to do to adjust the settings. Because of this, a lot of the landscapes are very bright with too much sunlight. I mostly used my 55-250mm lens as everything was pretty far away from me.

I got some pretty good shots and more importantly, I had a lot of fun climbing and hiking and the weather was amazing (last time we did this hike it was 98 degrees), so I'd say this day was pretty successful.















No comments:

Post a Comment